GPT Providence Legacy Winning Report - By Nick Ares

Editor's Note: This is a guest post by Nick Ares (@cabooselol on Twitter). He won a GP qualifier for Grand Prix Providence running Legacy Merfolk.  Congratulations Nick!

This is the decklist I ran in the trial.


GPT Providence Winner
4 Cursecatcher
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Coralhelm Commander
4 Merrow Reejery
3 Merfolk Sovereign
4 Aether Vial
4 Force of Will
4 Daze
2 Spell Pierce
1 Echoing Truth
4 Wasteland
4 Mutavault
1 Mishra's Factory
13 Island
Sideboard:
2 Llawan, Cephalid Empress
2 Back to Basics
2 Echoing Truth
2 Mindbreak Trap
1 Pithing Needle
1 Ravenous Trap
1 Spell Pierce
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Umezawa's Jitte
A couple notes on the decklist:
Due to card availability, some of my card choices were less than ideal.  There are unfortunately no Kira, Great Glass-Spinners; Sower of Temptations; Blue Elemental Blasts/Hydroblasts; or Submerges.
I'm not familiar with the local Legacy metagame, so my sideboard was thrown together in an attempt to cover as many bases as possible.  Ideally, it would include some number of Submerges and Blue Elemental Blasts/Hydroblasts.  Back to Basics won me four games.  It was especially potent against Team America, as my opponent wasn't running any basics (not sure if the base list does or not).
The mainboard Echoing Truth was to have a preboard out to mass tokens produced by Bridge From Belows, Empty the Warrens, and Sword of the Meek/Thopter Foundry.  It also gave me an answer to a resolved Ensnaring Bridge or Moat.
Overall, the deck ran smoothly.  I only lost one game the whole tournament, and that was the only game I had to mulligan in.  It was a small tournament, so there were only four rounds, followed by a cut to top 4.  My matchups were Dredge, Infect, Team America, ID into top 4.  I played against Thopter/Sword in the semis and was rematched against the Team America player in the finals.
If I had to play in a Legacy tournament tomorrow, I would try and fit a couple Kira, Great Glass-Spinners into the main.  I would keep the Echoing Truth, since it's almost never dead.  Cold-Eyed Selkie seems pretty amazing in the mirror, but also against any deck with blue (read: most decks in the format), so I may try one or two between the main and board.  The Merfolk Sovereigns are expendable.
I will definitely be running Merfolk in Providence.  Mental Misstep will most likely replace the Spell Pierces.  Not sure what else I would cut for the other two Missteps at this time, but I'll find room.  I also want to try a Surgical Extraction or two in the board.

Comments

Popular Posts