Best card in Dragon's Maze found?

I think I've found the best card in the set.
Aetherling is amazing. The only bad thing I can say about this card is that I suspect we'll all be sick of seeing it in almost everything for the next year.
Seriously.
They tried to make the next Morphling, and might have made one better.
A 6 mana 4/5 is respectable on the vanilla scale although certainly nothing amazing, but then you get to it's sexy sexy text box... Let me also say that 6 CC is the only thing keeping this from other formats like legacy. If this cost 3 or 4, we'd all be calling for bannings.
I'll take each ability separately.
U: Exile Aetherling. Return it to the battlefield under it's owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
Wow. I mean once he's on the board with blue mana up, this guy is going to be almost impossible to kill! You almost have to hope to two for one yourself by hitting it with an instant like devour flesh or something, have them respond by blinking it and in response to the trigger devour flesh AGAIN! Not fun, but how else are you going to kill this guy?
In the hands of a smart player, sorcery speed mass removal will pretty much never kill this. Instant speed removal will have an extremely hard time doing the job as well.
Next ability -
U: Aetherling is unblockable this turn.
Well. When you REALLY want to get your opponent down to 0 from 20, unblockable is the way to go. Luckily it's only a 4 power guy. Wait...
1: Aetherling gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
Nevermind. He's absurd. For the low cost of 4U you can make him an unblockable 8/1. AND you left U up to bounce him if they have a trick, since you had the 4UU the turn before to cast him. 8 unblockable damage a turn ends games VERY quickly.
But sometimes you'll want to block and lowering toughness isn't going to help with blocking. I mean it does already have 5 toughness, which is respectable, but it could easily die if I block and they have a searing spear. Oh and I didn't have up a U to bounce.
What?
You say there is one last ability?
I tell you it can't be.
It is? Is it something useless, like saccing a creature to give +1/+1? I mean that would be horrible in a blue deck.
No?
Ok, let's see it.
1: Aetherling gets -1/+1 until end of turn.
Ok, so this guy is a nigh unstoppable attacker, AND a seriously good blocker?
Sigh.
Thank god he's 6 mana. That's all I have to say.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141530&d=1366344195

Comments

Popular Posts