Commander (EDH) & Extended, plus an FNM report (really short)

So it's almost winter break for us teachers, but at the same time due to things like Christmas and New Years, I won't be able to play Magic for about three weeks.  This is just a HUGE stretch of time not to be brewing, so I am giving myself the (most likely overly ambitious) assignment of putting together an EDH deck (yeah yeah commander, whatever) and an Extended deck for the new extended season.

I have never ever played either of these two formats.  Any advice?  Good decks that are moderately cheap?  Advice on building an EDH deck for the first time?  I'll tell you all how it goes.

On to FNM:

So I went to FNM, made some changes to my U/W deck to make it a bit better against spells and a little less strong against creatures by adding in spell pierce and mana leak.  However, I hadn't had a chance to test the additions, so I played Valakut again.
Round 1 - I won against a nice, but newer player.  I won fairly quickly.
I then proceeded to lose to a very good U/B control deck (@cabooselol on twitter) in Round 2 and a rather nasty little fling concoction put together specifically to smash ramp decks into the floor in Round 3.  Let me tell you, it smashes ramp decks THROUGH the floor.  Seriously.  If I didn't suspect it loses outright to aggro, and wasn't sure about it's control match up I'd want to build it.  Looked like it was a blast to play.
The Round three player was dropping for the legacy tournament about to start so he pitched me the win, despite beating my face in two games in a row.  So I'm 1-2 in matches, but 2-1 in record.
It was a really small group that night so that meant I was in Top 4!
I won my top 4 match against boros landfall, drew in the finals and away I went with a totally undeserved win.  But now it's really early, too early to head home, and the legacy tournament needs another player.  A friend of mine (Thanks Will!) lent me his lands legacy deck, which I had never seen before, and I played in legacy, which I had never played before.  It broke my brain.  WOW.  SO many interactions!  I had a blast, lost almost all my matches, but did manage to squeak out a few game wins despite not being entirely certain I knew how to actually WIN with the deck.  I wish I had the card pool to build and play legacy.  Fun format, made, I think, better by the banning of Survival.
Anyway, that's it for me for a while.  Any help you can send my way in the comments about EDH and extended would be greatly appreciated.
 - Rogue Insight

Comments

  1. Advice for EDH:

    You need a LOT of search cards.

    You need a lot of cards that mess with your opponent. Well, at least that what I like to do. I use cards like mana web, blood moon, stasis...things that throw your opponent off their normal game.

    Play a lot of ramp. Artifacts help a lot.

    It's hard to play more than 3 colors. Also, make sure your general isn't *that* expensive to cast. If he dies, it just gets harder and harder to play him.

    Hm, I'm out of thoughts for right now, but I'm sure I'll think of some more things as time goes on.

    -Necrotic Plague

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts